The village nestles around his little Gothic church of the 15th century, owes its name to the legend related that St. Ironwood, Roman tribune, was beheaded in its place, no doubt. The second part of the name comes certainly the establishment of the town on the slope Livradois Aubignat 530 meters, up to 1100 meters of wood Recoleta.
This piedmont, offers a wonderful view over the valley and Ambert Monts du Forez.
This steep slope creates a multitude of streams and rivers, which are incised into deep gorges before joining the Dore. The stream of Escures, north of the common boundary, is a beautiful illustration. The man was able to take the force of the water for its vital energy supply (oil mill and flour). Many mills dot the rivers, some so small they carried the nickname « pepper mill ». A hike from the village of Saint Férréol Cotes, reveals the stream of Escures and join the neighboring town of Champétières.
Leisure activities :
- bowls paths, located on the Burg
- party room
Hike paths :
- Toinou’s path : Ambert- La Chardie 9 km
- Le Ruisseau des Escures : Saint Férréol des Côtes- Champétières 15 km
- Chemin des Croix : You can find mountain bike guide on-sale at the Tourist Office of Ambert.
Mairie de Saint Férréol des Côtes Le Bourg - 63600 SAINT FERREOL DES COTES Tél. 04 73 82 43 29 www.cc-ambert.com